Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Day at the British Library


Today we went to Platform 9 3/4, which I must say was a major disappointment. Due to construction at King Cross station the platform (which is just a fake wall) was moved out of the station and is located on the street. But I must say I did get a good picture after I cropped it.

Then we went down the road to spend the day at the British Library. Getting to see all the treasures of the library was amazing. I was able to see a Gutenberg Bible, original printing of Shakespeare, Henry VIII's prayer book, Emily Bronte's handwritten Jane Erye, one of the four remaining Magna Cartas (I saw another in Salisbury). I wish I could have taken pictures to remember this experience, but its far more important to protect these amazing items. If you want to take a look at some of the items click British Library to take you to the website. I suggest everyone take the time to view some of the wonderful treasures.

Standing in a room filled with such history just makes you think about everything that happened to create the world we currently are living in. What if King Harold II (one of the first Godwin, which is one of my family lines) had not lost the Battle of Hastings to the Norman invasion of William the Conqueror, would we still have the same history we have today. King Henry VIII and his six wives may have never happened. Its interesting to think the world could have been completely different with religion moving forward faster or slower. The Americas might not have been found as soon as they were, or they could have been found earlier. It makes me think of the Butterfly Effect. If one little change in history had occurred would I and everyone I know even be here. Points to ponder.

1 comment: